ELVIS DONATES TO BOYS CAMPNEW ORLEANS (AP) – A $1,000 donation from singer Elvis Presley will help open a camp for needy boys. State police volunteers’ operate the camp, located at Holden, about 50 miles northwest of here. Monday night burglars looted the camp of supplies which had been donated for six sessions scheduled to start July 15.
Col. Tom Parker, Presley’s manager, said in a statement telephoned here from Mobile Wednesday: “Elvis called me after reading about the thieves in the newspaper. He told me to check into this and send them a check and that’s what I’m doing.”
Parker said Presley helps support boys’ camps in other states.
A state police spokesman said progress on the 1973 camp had shut down because of the theft. “His donation will put us back where we were,” he said. “It came as a complete surprise and we think it’s just great.”The camp, supported largely by donations provides weeklong outings for 40 children in each session, it also has weekend camping for inner-city youths.
1973 American Newspaper reporthttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkLhYmmU75U